Slippery Rock University is a four-year, public, coeducational, comprehensive university offering a broad array of undergraduate and select graduate programs to more than 8,500 students. It is a part of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. Our master plan work focuses on:
- Defining the current and future facility needs necessary to support the university’s diverse activities and analyzing the use of existing facilities and any deficiencies in supporting the academic, athletic, and student evolution of the institution.
- Examining the recently updated university strategic plan and the university’s sustainability goals and operationalizing them through the master plan.
- Addressing parking and circulation issues (both vehicular and pedestrian) including event parking challenges
- Providing a framework for reinvestment in existing facilities, and where appropriate, siting and massing new facilities and/or additions that enhance open spaces on the campus
- Developing an implementation/phasing schedule and capital improvement estimate for required modifications and enhancements that also includes planned safety/security improvements.
- Reinforcing the campus’ connection to downtown Slippery Rock and ensuring the campus can best support its surrounding rural community.
The resulting “big idea” is a reinvigoration of the campus’ historic core and the reinforcement of connections between it and the newly developed western academic quad with a significantly improved mobility pattern and landscape framework.